Press conference ahead of Saturday's game at the Maradona

Antonio Conte has called on his team to maintain their focus against Cagliari to continue the positive start they made against Sassuolo last week.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's Serie A clash at the Stadio Maradona, the coach began with a comment on Napoli's involvement in the Champions League following the league phase draw on Thursday.

“We're obviously very happy to be playing in the competition because it's the best there is at club level," he said. "We're very excited and very keen but we're also very humble. We'll try to learn from the masters who are used to playing in this prestigious competition. Hopefully one day we'll be able to move ahead of other great clubs.

“That said, right now our focus is on tomorrow's game against Cagliari. I think the league will be very balanced this year. There are lots of teams that can battle for the top spots and aim to win it.

“It will be great to see our fans again three months after our Scudetto triumph. They were times of immense joy. Tomorrow we'll embrace our supporters again with the same strength and the same unison between team and fans so that we can have another great season.

“The lads did well against Sassuolo. Now we have to keep up the excellent work we've done so far and perform at our best tomorrow.

“If I think back to 23 May, I remember a very fierce Cagliari team. I expect the same determination tomorrow. They're a quality team and we must play with focus and intensity.

“We can't think we'll win just because we have the Scudetto on our shirts – that would lead us down the wrong path. If we play with the right grit and determination, then we can achieve the results we want.”

Share the article with your friends and support the team

Share the article with your friends and support the team

URL Copied to clipboard!